Oil on canvas, c.1880 – 1890 (acquired 1894)
Jane Day c.1844 – 1928
Founded in 1711 by the Rev. Josiah Wedgewood, the Blue Coat School occupied the Old Workhouse in Knightrider Street, eventually demolished in 1907.
This painting and the ‘Portrait of a Girl…’ were bought by public subscription and the Museum when the School was about to close in 1894, so that ‘they might be preserved therein as records of an ancient foundation now about to be superseded’.
The sitter’s name is thought to be Ellen Button.