View of the rear of Maidstone Museum

View of the rear of Maidstone Museum

Oil on canvas, probably later 1890s
Elisabeth V. Plowman 1842 – 1921

This view of the rear of the Museum was created at some point between the building of the Observatory in 1878 and the painting’s short term loan to the Museum by the artist in 1903. The work was eventually given to the Museum by R T Davies Esq of Gillingham.
Born in Bury St Edmunds, Elisabeth Plowman was lodging at 32 Mote Road, Maidstone when she painted this scene. By 1903, when she loaned the painting, she had moved to St Faith’s Street, so was a neighbour of the Museum.
She exhibited at Ipswich Fine Art Club in 1883 and it is probable that the Miss E Plowman who exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1912 was the same person.
As with many of the Museum’s female artists, we have little other information about her life and work and would be pleased to hear from you.

MNEMG 1963.4